A final note on the Soul
A final note on the study of the soul. The following verse I never understood until I looked up the original Greek text for the words translated double-minded.
(James 1:6 – 8 NKJV)
(6) But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind. (7 ) For let not that man suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; (8) he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.
Remember that the Greek word G5590. psuche, is translated to the English word soul. In the following scripture the Bible translators translated the word;
1374. dipsuchos, dip'-soo-khos; from G1364 and G5590; two-spirited, i.e. vacillating (in opinion or purpose):--double minded.
A more correct translation of this combination of word 1364. dis, dece; adv. from G1417; twice:--again, twice and G5590. Psuche which is translated soul, would be double-souled .
Remember in our study on the mind we said that the mind must be renewed with the Word so that we could choose to think the thoughts that were in line with the Word. We can not stop wrong thoughts from coming in to our mind, it is what we do with them when they get there, cast them down or meditate on them, that determines where there they become sinful to us. I never could understand how I could not be double-mind, thinking right thoughts one minute and wrongful thoughts the next. That is the battle that goes on through-out the awake part of my life. Sometimes it is a moment by moment battle to control the mind by casting down the bad and holding on to the good. In effect during this battle I am being double minded, thinking good and evil thoughts at some points, through out this time of battle. The renewing of my mind is a life long process, we will never be free from the mental struggle. satan and this world takes every advantage they can to fill my mind with things that go against the truth of the Word. Sometimes when satan get on a roll, I will have to cast down the same wrong thought twenty times in a role. To me that is about as double-minded as it get. One moment thinking good, the next moment thinking an evil thought. The battle goes on based on where I am, what I am doing and who I am with. There are some things that we can do to reduce the mind struggle, but we can never be totally free from the mind struggle, as long as we are on this earth. Therefore I will be in a double-minded struggle at different time through-out my life on earth.
I can understand being double-soul though. If I purpose in my soul one moment to willfully serve God in some things he ask, but I then purposely choose to not serve God in other things that He ask, then I am being a double-souled or double-willed.
Being a double-souled or double-willed is unacceptable to God.
In the last section of this study,
We will look at God fillings towards a half committment.
God has only one way, the narrow way. How we can read verses like the one that follows and think that we can do, watch, go, be, think the things that are very much part of this world, and it be ok with God.
(Mat 7:13 NKJV)
(13) "Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. (14) "Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it.
(Luke 13:24 NKJV)
(24) "Strive to enter through the narrow gate, for many, I say to you, will seek to enter and will not be able. (25) "When once the Master of the house has risen up and shut the door, and you begin to stand outside and knock at the door, saying, 'Lord, Lord, open for us,' and He will answer and say to you, 'I do not know you, where you are from,' (26) "then you will begin to say, 'We ate and drank in Your presence, and You taught in our streets.' (27) "But He will say, 'I tell you I do not know you, where you are from. Depart from Me, all you workers of iniquity.'
(28) "There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth, when you see Abraham and Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God, and yourselves thrust out. (29) "They will come from the east and the west, from the north and the south, and sit down in the kingdom of God. (30) "And indeed there are last who will be first, and there are first who will be last."
These scriptures in this study are Gods commandment to us the body of Christ. They are as clear as God is going to say to us,
(2 Cor 6:14 – 18 & 7:1 NKJV)
(14) Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness? (15) And what accord has Christ with Belial? Or what part has a believer with an unbeliever? (16) And what agreement has the temple of God with idols? For you are the temple of the living God. As God has said: "I will dwell in them And walk among them. I will be their God, And they shall be My people." (17) Therefore "Come out from among them And be separate, says the Lord. Do not touch what is unclean, And I will receive you." (18) "I will be a Father to you, And you shall be My sons and daughters, Says the LORD Almighty." (7:1) Therefore, having these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.
"Do not touch what is unclean, And I will receive you."
If we want to be received by God
We must separate our self from the things of this world,
There is very little time left, we must obey God as He commands.
(1 Pet 1:22 NKJV)
Since you have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit in sincere love of the brethren, love one another fervently with a pure heart,
Purity that God is interested in centers around our relationships with others
Our time on this earth is for us to demonstrate our love For God and other. God has no interest in our accumulation of stuff, our than when it interfers with our with us having a pure heart.
A Pure heart in the sight of God
Is being totally separated from
The lust of the eyes,
The lust of the flesh,
Pride of life and
Which is all sin.
Almost is not an option with God He is a all or nothing God.
If we want to spend eternity with Him,
We had better be willing to become none of what this world is and
All of what Jesus is.
Within Your Soul Lies The Power To Make That Choice.
Use It While You Can.
(Psa 23:1 – 6 NKJV)
(23) The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.(2) He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters. (3 He leads me in the paths of righteousness For His name's sake.
(34) Jesus said to them, "My food is to do the will of Him who sent Me, and to finish His work. (35) "Do you not say, 'There are still four months and then comes the harvest'? Behold, I say to you, lift up your eyes and look at the fields, for they are already white for harvest! (36) "And he who reaps receives wages, and gathers fruit for eternal life, that both he who sows and he who reaps may rejoice together. (37) "For in this the saying is true: 'One sows and another reaps.' (38) "I sent you to reap that for which you have not labored; others have labored, and you have entered into their labors."
"The Spirit of the LORD is upon Me, Because He has anointed Me To preach the gospel to the poor; He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted, To proclaim liberty to the captives And recovery of sight to the blind, To set at liberty those who are oppressed; (19) To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD."
(Acts 10:38 NKJV)
"how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power, who went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with Him.
You see this same power in the life of Stephan
(Acts 6:8 NKJV)
And Stephen, full of faith and power, did great wonders and signs among
God wants to restore the ability of the soul of man to those that are members of the Body of Christ.
(John 15:4 – 5 NKJV)
(4) "Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me. (5) "I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.
God will restore the ability of the soul of man to the man who choose to say to God,
NOT MY WILL BE DONE,
BUT YOUR WILL BE DONE IN MY LIFE.